|Posted on January 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM|
Most people are aware of the healthy benefits and nutrient profiles of common fruits and vegetables like apples, carrots and oranges. But what about some lesser known and equally healthy and tasty fruits and vegetables.
- Fennel: High in iron and can help prevent anemia in those with iron deficiencies. The herb also helps to alleviate digestive system problems.
- Kale: This green leafy is epecially high in vitamins A, C and K. It can also help lower cholesterol, act as an anti-inflammatory and aid the body in detoxification.
- Leeks: Known to protect the lining of your blood vessles, provide foliates and and decrease the risk of low-level diabtes and arthritis, this onion like vegetableis also high in vitamins C, B6 and K,
- Artichokes: These powerhouses have more antioxidants than any other vegetable. The edible flower bud helps with liver and gall bladder health and cholesterol reduction. It can also help encourage cell death in some common types of cancer.
- Pomegranates: Also high in antioxidants, these delicious reddish fruit can also help prevent blood clots and increase oxygen to the heart.
So there are a few newbies for you to try next time you are examining the produce department and looking for something new to add to your repetoire!
Categories: Mindful Nutrition